Thursday, April 27, 2023

Review of "A Long Petal of The Sea" by Isabel Allende


Sickbed reading, and very suitable - interesting without being too emotionally taxing, despite the subject matter. A good family saga, well told, covering some terrible events (the fall of the Spanish Republic, the abysmal treatment of Republican refugees in France, the coup in Chile) via some characters who manage to live through all of this. The characters themselves are engaging, and there are some nice plot twists and devices to maintain interest. The title is from a Neruda poem, and though I've always known he was a good sort I've never read any of him - I plan to now.

I enjoyed this more than other recent works by her - this doesn't have any magical realism, which these days I find a bit of a bore.

Small personal note - I have stayed in Argeles-Sur-Mer, the town on the French Mediterranean coast where the Republican prisoners were interned. Even in the Summer, and even on holiday and staying in a nice house, it wasn't enjoyable; the wind blows sharp sand into your face all the time.

No comments: