Tuesday, April 09, 2024

Review of Seaside Special


An interesting, sad film. It's organised around the end-of-the-pier show at Cromer, focusing on the performers and staff, but also some of the other people in the town, including a Tory fisherman. The film is set over the Spring and Summer of 2019, so it's post Brexit referendum, but during the period when it seemed that the political system was coming apart - when the government couldn't get its Brexit arrangements through Parliament. It wraps up with the end of the show and the lead-up to the 2019 election, and I think the chronology of some of that is necessarily a bit tangled.

The subject matter - Brexit, and Englishness - was going to be a bit sad anyway, and it's made worse by some interviews with people who were pro-Remain and didn't bother to vote. But it's sad too because of the characters from the show. They're middling talented, and even that level of non-superstar talent is way better than anything I could aspire to, and their life is precarious and ill-rewarded. The lead singer of the show in particular made me feel sad, because I thought she had a lovely voice and on-stage presence, and it wasn't going to take her anywhere.

And I was made even more sad because one of the performers - a comedian - reminded me very much of a friend of mine, and at the closing credits we learned that he had died since the film was shot. And I walked home in the rain thinking about all that.

I walked home in the rain from the Lansdown Film Club, where I'd watched the film,

No comments: