Thursday, March 10, 2022

Review of 'The Phantom Tollbooth" by Norton Juster

I read this book as a child of about ten...pretty sure that I just came across it in the children's library. I loved it then, and I'm pleased to say that, having renewed my aquaintance 53 years later, I still enjoyed. It's full of wordplay, and a nice child-level introduction to magical realism, and some good moral messages about how to live. I also enjoyed the pictures by Jules Feiffer, who often did cartoons in the New Yorker...oddly they'd not made so much impression on me the first time round. Now I need a ten-year-old to give it to!

I read the Wikipedia article about Norton Juster, and was surprised to discover he'd remained a working architect all his life...and that there's an animated film of the book, which I will seek out. Juster died around a year ago, otherwise I would have tried to write to him.

No comments: