Thursday, March 10, 2022

Review of "Queer; a graphic history" by Meg-John Barker and Jules Scheele

I didn't get much out of this. I was hoping to become a bit better informed than I am. I went through most of life not having to think about this area very much. I have some gay and lesbian friends, and, and I want to say that I am on their side, but other than that I've managed without having to take positions on questions of sex, and gender, and intersexuality and non-binary...it's not a luxury I can afford any longer. These questions are dividing my friends, and I think I can't be agnostic about them any more.

But this book wasn't much help. I think I must accept that I don't find graphics a great way to organise a book, and this felt very superficial...not much more than some name-checks of intellectuals who have contributed to thinking in this area, but even though I really haven't explored it very much, I don't know much more now I've read the book.

No comments: