Saturday, February 03, 2018

Review of Suffragette

Competent historical drama about the women's suffrage movement in the early 20th century. Well made enough to keep my interest, but not so special either in terms of cinematography, or narrative, or insights, as to make me think very much. The acting is good (though it's hard to like Helena Bonham-Carter as a radical after the stupid things she's said), and it's a shame that Anne-Marie Duff, who is one of the main characters gets left off the poster - not pretty enough? Pass me the irony bag.

Still, for my money it really looks like Edwardian England. The force-feeding scene in the prison was suitably horrible though I suspect it was actually rather prettied up. I can't complain that it ignores the dynamic between working-class and posher suffragettes, because that's one of the main themes. Just a bid ploddy.

Watched via Chromestream and informal distribution.

No comments: