Saturday, February 13, 2021

Slow Cooker Vegan Moussaka recipe

 Slow cooker vegan moussaka

Make the 'meat' layer as follows: 

Saute (that's "fry") onions and garlic in a pan, slowly. Add a can of chopped tomatoes, some salt and pepper, and some cooked kidney beans (can use a can). I added six sprigs of thyme because we had it. Simmer for a while until it's not runny. I mashed it a bit.

Make the white sauce as follows:

Cooked butter beans (can use a can, I used two cups dry, soaked overnight, cooked in pressure cooker for forty minutes), half a cup of cashews soaked overnight, blended with hand blender. I added some water to make it a bit runnier and three cloves of garlic, fried. Note that this is better than dairy white sauce, and with some herbs and chillies is great for macaroni cheese or spaghetti. This makes too much for the moussaka so I froze half.

In the slow cooker put a layer of potato slices (about 1cm thick, I didn't peel). I sprinkled with oil.

Then a layer of the kidney bean mush - about 4cm.

Then a layer of sliced aubergine - again about 1cm thick, rounds.

Then another layer of kidney bean mush.

Then a layer of white sauce - I recommend about 2cm deep.

Put the slow cooker on high and leave for seven hours or a bit more.


No comments: