Thursday, May 18, 2023

Review of "The Secret History" by Donna Tartt

 

I was drawn in to this story about a group of over-privileged white kids at a posh and slightly useless American college...the narrator has got in on a scholarship so he's not so over-privileged, but he's pretending that he's as rich as the rest of them. The secret of the title is about some terrible things that they do, and I won't spoil by disclosing...I was captivated for the most part, even as I was repelled by the characters and what they'd done. But it rather falls apart in the last fifty pages. It felt to me like she'd got bored with them and it, which can't possibly be right because it shows all the signs of being put together and revised over a long period, and she is a really good write. But still, that's how it felt.

No comments: