Monday, September 18, 2023

Review of "All the Light We Cannot See" by Antony Doerr

I really liked and enjoyed this lovely book. It's hard to imagine that something about a blind girl making her way through the world of occupied Brittany during WW2 could be so heartwarming, but it was, despite all the awful things that happen to the characters. There's a narrative that's split between different characters and switches backwards and forward in time, which can sometimes be annoying but wasn't here. One of the central characters is a very young German soldier, and I'm sometimes upset by books which foreground the experiences of people like that, but this didn't affect me that way at all. 

It was long and occasionally harrowing, but I'm so glad I read it and was sorry when it ended.

No comments: