Sunday, November 22, 2015

Review of 'Tears for Sale'

I watched this, via download, last weekend. I'd been meaning to for a while, and was not disappointed. Balkan magical realism (some supernatural stuff, including ghosts and witches), fantastic and fantastical cinematography, beautiful strong women characters, tremendous music, and a story line set in post WW1-Serbia. Some lovely contraptions that suggest a steampunk aesthetic, great costumes and moustaches. Great bar and drinking scenes.

In some ways it's the film I've been expecting from Terry Gilliam for years, and which he has consistently failed to deliver.

In a spirit of full disclosure, I have to confess that a week later I don't remember it very well. It's a visual and visceral experience rather than an intellectual one. Still, I suppose that means I can watch it again!


No comments: