Thursday, March 19, 2020

Review of 'The Doors of Perception' by Aldous Huxley

Re-read after an interval of about forty years, following a renewed interest in altered states of consciousness...some bits of this are brilliant, and some bits feel really tedious. I'm aware that he is more knowledgeable about eastern philosophy and religions, and about the history of art, than I am - but it feels a bit like he'd rather show off about it than use his knowledge to educate me.

He's also more interested in the sensory aspects of altered states (the bright colours) than in the...I don't know, there's probably a proper word for it...aspects that relate to the self and identity. I'm aware that others write more about the dissolution of identity and self that comes with psychedelics.

But a good read nevertheless. And I really loved the cover of this edition!

No comments: