Sunday, March 29, 2020

Review of 'To Calais, in Ordinary Time' by James Meek

Oh this is a good book. So much going on - history of course, but also language, and class relations, and ethics and religion...an absolute pleasure to read, perhaps because of the different voices and language that they use. Some mysteries remain unexplicated (who are Judith and Marc?), some gradually resolve themselves. There are some very funny parts, and some parodies - bits of slapstick, lots of cross-dressing and some gender-fluidity - and I suspect there were quite a few clever jokes that were lost on me. I think the descriptions of the joust are a bit of a skit on modern festivals (with VIP coloured wristbands), and there's probably more that I missed. A minor criticism is that I couldn't always tell all of the archers apart - even when I had their names straight they seem to merge into each other somewhat.

But that really is minor, and the other characters more than make up for it. Wonderful.

No comments: