Wednesday, February 16, 2022

Review of Encanto

Nice and thoughtful Disney film, set in Colombia, with some interesting sibling rivalry themes (like Frozen) but also a character who is ADHD/Aspergers, and therefore absent and not talked about. There's some magic and light supernatural stuff, referred to in the film as a "miracle" - perhaps so as to not upset the American viewing public, which is increasingly hostile to anything that could possibly be construed as anti-Christian. 

Some of the moderate peril (collapsing buildings, jumps over ravines) felt quite tense to me, though a grandparent I spoke to said that they only place that their little ones had actually been scared was an in-song depiction of the three-headed dog that Hercules kills. 

Oh, and beautiful depictions of plant and animal life...personally I liked the donkeys best, though the rats ran them a close second. And better music than I can remember for a long time in a Disney film, I kept wanting to get up and dance.

A real pleasure to watch, and I was really pleased to hear that the Colombian side of my family had all watched it together and loved it too.

Watched in the middle floor at Springhill on a legitimate Disney Channel subscription!

No comments: