Friday, August 28, 2026

Review of "Vineland" by Thomas Pynchon

Re-read this because I re-watched One Battle After Another, because that film is supposed to be inspired by this book. Well, I can see how, but I can't say I enjoyed this on the second reading (and I don't remember anything from the first reading, which isn't a good sign). It's not long but it's flabby and shapeless, with lots of surreal stuff (a community of "Thanatoids", who seem to be some sort of Zombie) and too many scenarios and characters, and a plot that is pretty much incomprehensible. By the end I was just turning the pages without really reading. Glad this isn't the only Pynchon I've read.

And yet, you can sort of see the contours of the film hidden beneath the layers of dross and muddle, which makes the achievement of that all the more remarkable.

No comments: